Monday, November 2, 2009

Blooming now (2009-11-02)


This orchid is Laeliocattleya Molly Tyler 'Black River'.  I first saw this orchid a few years ago at the Southland Orchid Show and wanted one for some time before I finally found one for sale.  There are at least three cultivars of this hybrid that are commonly grown.  This one is 'Black River', which was awarded AM/AOS (Award of Merit by the American Orchid Society).  The other two cultivars both received FCC/AOS (First Class Certificate) with one named 'Rivermont' and the other without a varietal name (simply FCC/AOS).  The flowers are similar but I think there are some differences in the shape of the tepals, and the colors may be slightly different.  I think I've had this plant for almost two years, so I will definitely take credit for its blooming.  It bloomed with five flowers on a very strong stem.  This orchid over-wintered outdoors last year, but the leaves are not looking as well as I would like.  My challenge this year will be to grow it so the leaves look better.

1 comment:

  1. Love all the new photos. I'm so impressed by your wide selection and how extravagantly they bloom. Good luck with your new plants.

    ReplyDelete