Friday, August 28, 2009

Blooming now (2009-08-28)

This is Stanhopea nigroviolacea. This species is very similar to Stanhopea tigrina, which I wonder if they are not the same species. But since my tigrina blooms a little earlier in the year, there are some differences. The two species have almost identical fragrances. The smell is very strong and can perfume the whole area intensely. It smells sweet like candy and fruit with a warm vanilla undertone. It may be too cloying for some people. This orchid opened yesterday and probably will finish in a few days, especially since it is so warm now.


This is Paphiopedilum St. Swithin, a cross between P. rothschildianum and P. philippinense. Unfortunately, this has been blooming for a few weeks now so the flowers are a bit past their prime. I should have grabbed a photo sooner. I had this orchid indoors over the winter last year and moved it outdoors in the spring. I haven't decided what to do yet for this winter, but I am inclined to leave it outdoors with some protection.


This is Miltassia Dark Star 'Darth Vader'. This is another orchid that blooms reliably. There are probably a few dozen flowers getting ready to flower, but this is the first to bloom. Each flower spike can have up to three or four flowers and the plant can have a dozen spikes. This orchid does very well in the coastal climate and tolerates the winter cold very well.


This is Laelia crispa. I've had this orchid for a few years and this is the first time it is blooming for me. Normally, this species blooms with about four flowers on a upright stem in late summer. This orchid has been growing outdoors all this time, so I can safely recommend this orchid for temperature as low as 40 degrees.


This is Laeliocattleya Wrigleyi, a cross between Laelia anceps and Cattleya bowringiana. This is another reliable bloomer that blooms about his time of the year. I think I may have seen this bloom more than once per year. Again, this orchid can tolerate the winter low temperatures, owing to the Laelia anceps heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment