Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sadly, no more


There are definitely some orchids which I cannot grow. To name a couple are Disas and Dendrobium phalaenopsis types. For different reasons, these orchid genera are too difficult for me. I'll write about other orchids that are difficult for me in the future. For now, here is my experience with Disas and Dendrobium phalaenopsis.

The Disas lingered on for many months to a year before finally giving up. I think they could not handle the water quality. I thought I could grow Disas here because I thought I had the right temperature range for them. However, I didn't expect them to be that sensitive to water quality. I read that Disas needed very good water quality, but I thought that my water quality might be good enough. I found out that it wasn't. So I will just admire these from afar from now on.

The other orchid that I would like to grow are Dendrobium phalaenopsis. They seem to grow so easily for so many people. The problem that I have with these orchids is that I'm not too good about attending to plants inside the house. I forget to water them and they shrivel before I finally notice them. So once they are outside, they do well in the summer until the weather turns cold. Of course, they promptly die in the first series of cold nights. So I have given up on these orchids as well. Another problem that I have had with these is the mealy bug infestation. These orchids seem quite prone to mealy bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment