Sunday, July 26, 2009

Vanda, anyone?


I've had some moderate success in growing Vandas. I know that many references recommend that Vandas should receive warm temperatures and high humidity. And generally, I would agree with the recommendation. However, I have found a few Vanda varieties that seem to tolerate cold winter temperatures. As you may know, Vanda coerulea originates from higher elevations and is often considered as a cool growing orchid. And my experience has been that Vandas with coerulea in their background are the orchids that can withstand our winters in Southern California. My one caution would be to make certain that the Vandas are watered often, especially if your water quality is poor. I had three coeruleas that were doing quite well and bloomed for me (see photo). But when my water quality became poor in combination with my infrequent watering (bad me!), the coeruleas declined and eventually died. So my lesson is to water often. I bought another coerulea at the Santa Barbara International Orchid Fair this past March from Andy's Orchids. It's doing fine so far.

2 comments:

  1. You have a REALLY GREEN, GREEN THUMB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I wish I can say that I have grown everything beautifully. But I've had some miserable failures. In fact, the Vanda in the picture is no longer alive because the salt buildup was too much for it. But it's all a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete